Friday, January 11, 2013

From The Oven: Peppermint Marshmallow Bars

One of my impulse buys over the holidays was a bag of peppermint marshmallows. I had never seen them before and was intrigued... what would they taste like? How minty would they actually be? Then the question turned to "What do I do with all these marshmallows?"

A quick recipe search online led me to this recipe > http://allrecipes.com/recipe/deluxe-chocolate-marshmallow-bars/

It sounded like a good base for some experimentation.

Changes I made were:
- Use of peppermint instead of regular flavored marshmallows (obviously)
- Omitted the cocoa powder from the cookie base
- Added oats to the cookie base
- Omitted the peanut butter and rice cereal from the chocolate topping (peanut butter doesn't go with peppermint, at least not for me, and we were out of rice cereal)
- Halved the recipe and used a 9x9 baking pan




Overall, a delicious recipe. The cookie base ended up rising more than I expected, so I will halve the ingredients for that portion the next time I make these. Andy really liked them, and he was hesitant at first.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the other half of the bag of marshmallows. Suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment