Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke

It's time to admit it... we have a spice problem. While I think the problem is having enough space, some people think we just have too many spices. (Too many spices - is there such a thing?!)

However you see it, we've struggled for a long time now to have spice storage which is actually useful while cooking. In our last apartment, the spices were in drawers as well as a spinning rack. The rack holds 20 spices. In the drawer we had almost another two times that amount. What can I say... we cook all kinds of food and we like our spice! In the condo, we didn't have enough drawer space, so we moved them into a basket on our pantry shelves. That was a mess.

While we are moving toward growing fresh spices (currently have basil, parsley, and oregano) as well as using whole spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc), there are still a ton of jars. While perusing the internet one day, something caught my eye and grew into an idea.


Vintage wooden soda crates turn out to be the perfect size for spice jars! And they hold 24 each!


I love the fact they are vintage. Inside each crate the location it was from and the year it was made are stamped. Two of ours are from Chattanooga in 1969. The third is from Dallas.



All I had to do was give them a good cleaning and have A use some wood glue on a couple rough spots. Then we hung them on the wall.


I love seeing the Coca-Cola label!


And voila! Enough storage for all our spices (yes, still using the spinning rack) and room to add more! And now they're right at our fingertips while we cook.


And I bought an extra crate... I'm sure I'll find a use for it some day!



No comments:

Post a Comment